Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. > Articles > Common Household Fire Hazards

Common Household Fire Hazards

Home fires are especially frightening for two reasons: first, for the massive amount of damage and toll on human life they can inflict, and second, for the thousands of ways in which they can start. The vast majority of fire-related deaths – over 80% – occur in residential areas. This is due in large part to the fact that homes, unlike most places of business these days, are not equipped with sprinkler systems.

In the interest of keeping you and your family as safe as possible, here are a few tips on how to keep your house fire-free:

  • Never leave kitchen appliances unattended, including hotplates, toasters, microwaves, and stove tops — when you walk away from any of these, you run the risk of letting a blaze get started in the most fire-prone room of the home.
  • Make sure your electrical cords are intact and not worn out at all. Exposed wiring is a surefire way of igniting curtains, rugs, and floors. Pet owners need to be extra vigilant on this point, as your dog, cat, or other small animal is likely to see cords as chew toys.
  • Carefully inspect all household appliances before purchase and every use. A single spark can start a spectral fire, turning faulty coffee makers and televisions into potentially deadly items.
  • Leaving a candle unattended, even for a minute, can quickly result in a blaze. Never step out of the room when there’s an open flame.

Contact Us

If you or someone you love has been affected by a household fire and you think someone else’s negligence was at fault, contact an experienced Kenosha personal injury lawyer at the law offices of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® today by calling 800-242-2874.