Household products help homeowners cut grease, keep their whites whiter, and remove mold and mildew from showers and toilets. These chemically based products do wonders for keeping a clean house, but can also do damage to your health if not stored and used properly. Products considered hazardous are labeled such because of their ability to cause injury if misused. Not all household products are hazardous, but those that are require special attention.
Manufacturers are required to label their products with instructions for proper use, storage, and disposal. Follow these labels. Using too much of a chemically based household product could pose a serious threat to your health. Also, wear protective gear when handling and using these products. Rubber or plastic gloves that can be found at most general stores will usually suffice.
Always store household cleaners out of the reach of children. Nearly 20,000 children were exposed to or poisoned by household chlorine bleach in 2000. If a hazardous household cleaner comes into contact with your or a child’s eyes, flush them immediately with water and contact the Poison Control Center.
Should someone ingest the product, vomiting may have to be induced by using syrup of Ipec or drinking copious amounts of water. This depends on the chemical, it is not advised to induce vomiting for all chemicals since they can re-burn a person’s internal organs during the process.
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries of death because of a hazardous household product, you may be entitled to recover damages for your losses.
Contact the Kenosha hazardous household product lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 866.499.4700 for a free initial consultation. We will discuss your case and further legal options.