Alcohol and drugs are among some of the most common poisons ingested by people. Small children, however, are known to get into poisonous substances like household cleaning supplies. Knowing what to do in the event that someone swallows bleach or has too much alcohol to drink can save someone’s life.
Some items that are important to have around during such an emergency are dried mustard, a first aid kit, activated charcoal, mild soap, and syrup of Ipecac. Remember, in any emergency situation, the immediate action to be taken is to call 911.
Step 1: Identify the poison. Was it a plant, food, or drug? Was it a corrosive or petroleum chemical, like lighter fluid or bleach? It is important to know what the person has had to eat, drink, or ingest around the time of the emergency.
Step 2: Induce vomiting by having the person drink 2 tablespoons of syrup of Ipecac mixed with a ½ liter of water if:
Step 3: Administer another dose of syrup of ipecac and water if the affected person has not yet vomited after 20 minutes.
Step 4: Give a mixture of 5 tablespoons of activated charcoal with a small amount of water after vomiting has ceased to absorb what is left in the stomach.
Step 5: Have the affected person continue to plenty of water to dilute the poison
Step 6: Save of a sample of the ingested substance for identification once emergency technicians arrive.
All household cleaning products include the number for the poison control hotline on their bottles. Call this number in the event that your child has ingested the product or gotten it on their face or eyes for specific instructions on how to handle the emergency.
If you or a loved one has been injured from ingesting poison that was not properly labeled, contact the Kenosha poison injury lawyers of Habush Habush & Rottier S.C. ® at 1-866-499-4700 to discuss your case and determine your legal options.